Historical Background

The earliest record of Meleto dates back to the eleventh century when the castle belonged to the Benedictine monks of Badia a Coltibuono.

The name "Meleto in Chianti" is mentioned for the first time in 1256 in the Libro degli Estimi (Book of Estimates) of the Florentine Guelphs as a property of a local feudal family. Thanks to its strategic position close to the border between the territories of the Republic of Florence and Republic of Siena, the castle became a main Florentine stronghold of the area and later on one of the main fortifications in Terziere di Gaiole of the Lega del Chianti. This made the castle a coveted prize between the two contenders, although it never sustained serious damage.
 

Foto Storica 24
Meleto09.jpg
meleto00.jpg